On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 06:01:56PM -0700, gaikokujinkyofu...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 7:55:21 PM UTC-4, gaikokuji...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I had managed to get a nice win7 HVM working, updates and all so first
> > thing I did was backup that vm. I tried restoring it later and found that
> > it again (a problem I was having before) wasn't able to update and (unlike
> > before) all the shortcuts were missing except for "start"?
> >
> > I gave up on MS's updates and just used WSUS and that worked well enough so
> > I won't bother with trying to figure out why win isn't updating properly
> > but the shortcuts would come in handy as it does kind of defeat much of the
> > purpose if I can't start the win apps in their own windows.
> >
> > qvm-sync-appmenus win7 (my template
> >
> > and it said the Needs qrexec agent installed
> >
> > I installed it previously and it seemed to be working fine at the time I
> > had made a backup. Anyway, from the VM manager I tried to start VM for
> > window tools installation but got an internal error libxenlight failed to
> > create win7
> >
> > I'm running out of ideas...

If you have windows tools installed in that HVM, check output of
`qvm-prefs win7` command - you have `qrexec_installed` flag here - if
it's set to False, change it to True (`qvm-prefs -s win7
qrexec_installed True`).

In theory it should be done automatically if you have tools installed.
So first make sure you have them there.

> > Thoughts?
>
> btw, here is the WTI error i get
>
> [gaiko@dom0 ~]$ qvm-start win7 --install-windows-tools
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/qvm-start", line 131, in <module>
>     main()
>   File "/usr/bin/qvm-start", line 115, in main
>     xid = vm.start(verbose=options.verbose,
> preparing_dvm=options.preparing_dvm, start_guid=not options.noguid,
> notify_function=tray_notify_generic if options.tray else None)
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/qubes/modules/01QubesHVm.py", line
> 326, in start
>     return super(QubesHVm, self).start(*args, **kwargs)
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/qubes/modules/000QubesVm.py", line
> 1901, in start
>     self.libvirt_domain.createWithFlags(libvirt.VIR_DOMAIN_START_PAUSED)
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 1059, in
> createWithFlags
>     if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreateWithFlags() failed',
> dom=self)
> libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: libxenlight failed to create new domain
> 'win7'
> [gaiko@dom0 ~]$

You have probably run into this:

You need to have `qubes-windows-tools` package installed. Take a look
here:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-tools-3/#tocAnchor-1-1-5

- --
Best Regards,