Hi,

Not sure what's been happening on this subject since September (maybe
discussion has moved?) but thought I'd make a contribution. Pretty new to
some of this so appreciate the feedback.

If we install the base qubes template for Debian-8, and then do:

    dpkg-query -f '${binary:Package} ' -W >> ~/inst

(refer https://wiki.debian.org/ListInstalledPackages )

Then we end up with a file in the home directory that lists all installed
packages.
I can use "apt-mark auto" against all these items to clear out the list,
but before doing the autoremove, there's obviously some that have to
remain.

To not 'break' the template completely, I'm finding that qubes-gui-agent is
the only one that needs to be set to manual.
But for good measure I follow it up with the following apps which I know
I'll be leaving in the minimal template:
    sudo apt-get install firefox-esr lxterminal leafpad xfe

Finally we do the autoremove step and end up saving about 100MB. Not alot,
but I'm more focused on simply reducing the attack surface.

Having done this, all seems to work fine but I imagine some features are
missing behind the scenes (particularly qubes features).
So I appreciate any further recommendations or suggestions as to why debian
minimal has to be any more complicated than what I've stated.

Regards
Ben