digitaldi...@tutanota.com:
> Turns out whonix still runs, or at least sys-whonix does, I'm in the
> process of updating dom0, and arm for sys-whonix is showing plenty of
> activity that I couldn't get before(when I was trying to update Whonix-gw
> template vm
>
> On Thursday, June 23, 2016 at 10:13:45 AM UTC-5, digita...@tutanota.com
> wrote:
>>
>> hi, I rebooted my computer this morning and had a prompt saying that the
>> whonix gateway metapackage is missing, which prevents me from updating
>> dom0, as well as whonix(tried to do that to fix the issue). I have two
>> questions:
>>
>> what caused this? or what possibly caused this?
>>
>> how do I fix it?

Most likely you upgraded from Whonix 12 to Whonix 13 without knowing it.
Follow these instructions:
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Upgrading_Whonix_12_to_Whonix_13
If this resolves your issue, then there's no need for concern.

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the
NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!