On 06/23/2016 07:00 PM, Alex wrote:
On 06/23/2016 06:54 PM, un.si...@gmail.com wrote:
I'm working on getting Qubes running on my new laptop (Dell XPS 13
2016 edition). It was exciting to see that dom0 was updated to the
4.4.x kernel which included support for my wireless card.

It turns out that the appVM's were still running Fedora 23, which
only has a 4.2.x kernel, and does not include support for my wireless
card. Unfortunately, this wireless card is the only form of
networking available on the XPS 13.
The kernel in AppVMs in Qubes is NOT the one from the distribution, but
one with paravirtualization enabled and some optimizations by the Qubes
team.

If you successfully upgraded to 3.2Rc1, you'll find that in the AppVM
settings (Advanced tab) you can choose the 4.4.12-9 kernel (I had to
choose that for all my AppVMs). Make sure you select that kernel and try
again.

You may want to use a different network connection to update dom0,
specifically the kernel-qubes-vm package.

There were a few installation issues:

1) During install an error that the chrony package was unavailable
occurred. It was possible to continue despite this error
Happened to me too, and forgot to mention that in my feedback ;) it
doesn't seem to be a problem, as you say the installation continues.

Did not get it or must have missed it.

2) The EFI boot entry was not created. I was able to create this
manually and successfully boot (should I be using the xen.efi or
xen-4.6.1.efi to boot, or does it matter?).
Lucky you, my installer froze when installing the EFI bootloader.

Same here... Froze on me too. Stuck with legacy boot mode for now. Maybe a BIOS version issue? I have 1.4.3. Maybe I could double-back to 1.3.3....?

Now, for the questions that may get me unstuck:

1) Is it possible to update the appVM template to Fedora 24 via a USB
stick?
That should not be necessary, please try with a newer kernel first.

2) Is it possible to use a USB wireless NIC? If so, how can I do this
without being able to install the qubes-usb-proxy in the appVM? Is
there a way that I can install this via a USB stick?
You may attach the specific controller with the USB nic to your NetVM
with the VM Settings / Devices tab.

That did not work for me...I tried that after my first install which gave me an error no matter what I did. One thing to watch out for - as I found out- is installing a separate sys-usb and sys-net. As I did the first time, sys-usb snatched the USB-ethernet adapter away somehow, so I couldn't attach it to sys-net, and I couldn't connect the USB controller to sys-net either.

Best way atm is to combine sys-usb and sys-net. Your adapter should work right out of the box.

Only issues left for me are screen resolution (HIDPI), and waiting for a newer kernel for the internal wifi.

I learned that kernel 4.6 has full support for this laptop... So we need to wait a bit... For now, it just works ;-)

Regards,

RB