On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 02:15:35PM -0700, grzegorz.chodzi...@gmail.com wrote:

> Preamble
> Qubes OS offers an option to restrict network traffic within a VM to a
> specific address/domain/website which is a very useful feature as it allows
> the user to control networking within VMs.
>

> Issue
> However if the user wants to be 100% sure only the dedicated VM can access a
> specific web resource, they need not only to allow the dedicated VM access to
> a said resource, they also need to deny access to said resource for every
> other VM they use. As the number of VMs grow larger this task will get more
> and more mundane.
>
> Suggestion
> Allow users to apply firewall rules to several VMs at once. This mechanism
> could be implemented either in Qubes Manager GUI or as a separate GUI
> application.
>
> Sample options
>
> Make exclusive - allowing access to a specific resource automatically denies
> access to said resource for all other VMs except for the system VMs
>
> Apply to all - allowing access to a specific resource grants all other VMs
> access to said resource
>
> Apply to selected - additional checkbox would appear in QM allowing the user
> to select VMs to which the rule would apply
>
> Apply to all from the same TemplateVM - self-explanatory
>
> I believe such a feature would greatly improve the efficiency as well as
> minimize the risk of user error.

Thanks for suggestion. But in practice we don't have resources to
implement this (we have a lot of higher priority tasks). So either
someone from the community would implement this, or no one....

That's said, it is already possible using command line interface and a
simple script. For example:

for vm in work-vm1 work-vm2 work-vm3; do
  qvm-firewall -a $vm corporate-server.com tcp https
done

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki