On Fri, Jul 01, 2016 at 12:08:42PM +0200, Alex wrote:
> On 07/01/2016 11:56 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 10:32:47AM +0200, Alex wrote:
> >> In the meantime, I removed the RPM templates (that
> >> were installed even if unselected during setup!), reinstalled
> >> kernel-qubes-vm that was automatically uninstalled when removing the
> >> last template RPM but I think it's needed, and restored the backup.
> >
> > Did you used dnf or yum to remove template rpms?
> > I can't reproduce the problem... But it may be related to dnf feature
> > enabled with clean_requirements_on_remove option, which is something
> > like automatic `apt-get autoremove`.
>
> I'm sorry I don't really remember exactly what I did :/
>
> But straight from my dom0:/root/.bash_history,
> # dnf remove qubes-template-debian-8
> # dnf remove qubes-template-fedora-23 qubes-template-whonix-gw
> # dnf remove qubes-template-fedora-23 qubes-template-whonix-ws
> # dnf install kernel-qubes-vm
> # dnf remove qubes-template-whonix-ws
> # dnf install kernel-qubes-vm
> # qubes-dom0-update kernel-qubes-vm
>
> I can try to understand: when I gave the third dnf remove, it prompted
> me that it would also remove kernel-qubes-vm, and I stopped it. So I
> tried to set the package as manually installed somehow,

dnf mark

> hoping that it
> would not be automatically removed, but since I'm not that expert with
> dnf it may just have said "gee hee, that's already installed you dumb",

Probably you're right.

> so I opted for the obvious way: removing both (whonix and kernel-qubes)
> and reinstalling only the latter. I don't know why I later tried to use
> qubes-dom0-update on the very same package.

Because package kernel-qubes-vm (rpm file) isn't there, you needed to
download it again.

So it looks like my guess was right. And kernel-qubes-vm needs to be
marked as needed regardless of template rpms.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab