On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 07:22:28PM -0700, neilhard...@gmail.com wrote:
> From the user FAQ:
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/user-faq/#can-i-install-qubes-on-a-system-without-vt-d
>
> "an attacker could always use a simple DMA attack to go from the NetVM to
> Dom0"
>
> So what does this mean though..?
>
> Can they launch this DMA attack from a compromised App VM..?
>
> Could they simply do a browser exploit in an App VM, and then do a DMA attack
> from there to go to dom0..?
>
> Or is it a lot harder than that..?
>
> I'm just trying to work out whether it's really worth buying a new laptop
> just to get VT-D.... I currently have VT-X, but not VT-D.

DMA is mechanism for PCI devices to access system memory (read/write).
Without VT-d any PCI device can access all the memory, regardless to
which VM is assigned (or left in dom0). Most PCI devices allow driver to
request arbitrary DMA operation (like "put received network packets at
this address in memory", or "get this memory area and sent to the
network"). So, without VT-d, it gives unlimited access to the whole
system. Now, it is only a matter of knowing where to read/write to take
over the system, instead of just crashing. But since you can read the
whole memory, it isn't that hard.

Now, how it applies to Qubes OS? The above attack requires access to PCI
device. Which means that can be performed only from NetVM / UsbVM, so
someone must first break into one of those VMs. But it isn't that hard,
because there is a lot of complex code handling network traffic. Recent
bugs includes DHCP client, DNS client etc. Most of attacks on NetVM /
UsbVM (but not all!) requires being somehow close to the target system -
for example connected to the same WiFi network, or in case of UsbVM,
having physical acccess to some USB port.

But, just exploiting a browser in an AppVM isn't enough, as normal AppVM
do not have any PCI device assigned (unless you do that manually).

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab