Qubes VM Manager crashes on USB un-plug, "Houston, we have a problem"

I plug in a USB, then attack it as a block device to a VM.

Then I remove the USB device without first unmounting from within the VM

And then USB no longer works at all, and if I try to detach the block device,
the VM manager crashes and we get "Houston, we have a problem" error message.

Sure, I can go into the VM in the first place, unmount it, and then detach the
block device.

But sometimes I forget to do that

Other than restarting the entire OS... what can I do.?

It's really annoying having to restart the OS whenever I screw up and
accidentally remove it without unmounting first.