Summary of Problem: During a fresh installation of Qubes R3.1, all restored
Debian TemplateVMs crash during the apt-get dist-upgrade and can no longer be
restarted.

Details: My preferred Qubes upgrade method is to do a fresh install to a new
disk and backup/restore AppVMs and TemplateVMs from the previous version. This
has highlighted two problems (the minor one first):

1. The documentation at
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/releases/3.1/release-notes/#upgrading details two
upgrade methods:
[quote]The easiest and safest way to upgrade to Qubes R3.1 is to install it
fromscratch and use qubes backup and restore tools formigrating of all of the
user VMs.
Users of Qubes R3.0 can upgrade using experimentalprocedure.[/quote]

I can find no reference in the fresh-installation instructions for upgrading
the TemplateVMs, which only seems to be mentioned in the "experimental method"
section. Perhaps the term "experimental" is no longer appropriate and, if so,
should ideally be dropped.

2. After a fresh installation of R3.1, I restored all AppVMs, HVMs and
TemplateVMs (from R3.0) to the new system, I upgraded the Fedora TemplateVMs
without problem using the "experimental" procedure but ALL 3 of my Debian-based
TemplateVMs crash during the apt-get dist-upgrade step, leaving the VMs in an
unusable state (cannot be restarted).

Since this is consistent across all three of my Debian-based TemplateVMs
(debian-8, debian-8-nonfree and debian-8-sandbox) it seems likely to be a bug.
Right now, I've restored all three from backup and they are still usable in
R3.0 form but some things (eg VM Manager Update) no longer work.

Is this a known problem? Is there a solution or workaround?