On 08/14/2016 05:22 PM, IX4 Svs wrote:
> Just spent a few minutes to figure this out so I thought I'd share.
>
> If you're a Signal user on Android, you can now have Signal inside
> Qubes. Here's how I did it:
>
> 1. Install the Chromium browser in your appvm template - skip if you
> were already using it. Shut down the template VM.
> 2. Create a new AppVM called Signal
> 3. Launch Chromium browser in new VM, go to chrome://extensions/ in the
> address bar and follow the link to the Chrome app store.
> 4. In the app store, search for "Signal private messenger" and install
> the app.
> 5. The app launches automatically on first install. Follow the prompts
> to "link" this app with your phone.
> 6. At this stage Signal should work on your Qubes system.
>
> Let's make Signal a bit more usable by creating a shortcut in our
> desktop panel that launches Signal directly. (this assumes KDE desktop
> on Dom0)
>
> 7. Create a Chromium shortcut using the Qubes way (Q -> Domain: Signal
> -> Signal: Add more shortcuts... -> Select "Chromium web browser")
> 8. Follow
> http://support.whispersystems.org/hc/en-us/articles/216839277-Where-is-Signal-Desktop-on-my-computer-
> to create a desktop shortcut
> 9. Right-click on Chromium icon in panel, select "Icon Settings"
> 10. Change the "Command" field of the "Application" tab to: qvm-run -a
> --tray Signal '/usr/lib64/chromium-browser/chromium-browser.sh
> --profile-directory=Default --app-id=(long string which you'll get from
> the properties of the desktop shortcut you created in step #7)'
> 11. Copy the Signal app icon file from the Signal AppVM to Dom0. I used
> the following command to copy the icon file to Dom0: [user@dom0]$
> qvm-run --pass-io Signal 'cat
> /home/user/.local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/chrome-(long-appID)-Default.png'
>> /home/users/signal-icon.png
> 12. Now you can change your new shortcut's icon from Chrome to Signal,
> by pointing it to /home/users/signal-icon.png
>
> If anyone has a better way of creating a custom panel shortcut I'd love
> to hear it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alex
This is a really neat idea and guide, thanks for sharing it! It might be
better to work with the way Qubes' handles the shortcuts internally.
That documentation can be found here.
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/managing-appvm-shortcuts/#tocAnchor-1-1-1

If you dig through the GetAppMenus RPC, you'll see it (generally put)
draws it source list from desktop files in /usr/share/applications. If
you put a Signal .desktop file in there, you should (I think, untested)
be able to simply use the GetAppMenus RPC.
--
kulinacs <nickl...@kulinacs.com>