I found the culprit thanks to your very helpful instructions: the
network-manager service was running in the VM.

It happened because I did first test my VPN with the instructions
(https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/) following the "Using NetworkManager"
section as a quick test, to only later set it up without it.

Thanks again. I hope this thread will be useful for others facing similar
problems.