On 07/26/2016 05:32 PM, gaikokujinkyofu...@gmail.com wrote:
On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 5:12:42 PM UTC-10, Chris Laprise wrote:

The shebang refers to the '#!/bin/bash' at the start of the script; that
is required for it to run.
Ahhhh. Ok. Well I checked and I had forgotten to remove the origonal #!/bin/sh
but it was the same file I had used before that had worked? Anyway, I edited it
and now only one line and it is bash. But still can't access anything other
than direct ip addresses via the appvm that is using the vpnvm?

The last three lines you refered to, of the .ovpn, I believe I added as the
Qubes VPN doc instructed, anyway I just c/p'd from the .ovpn I have:

script-security 2
up 'qubes-vpn-handler.sh up'
down 'qubes-vpn-handler.sh down'

Is that what you were referring to?
Yes.

Something else you can try is to bypass the DHCP stuff and add the DNS
server manually in your .ovpn with a line like this:
setenv vpn_dns 'X.X.X.X'

Replace X's with DNS server address.
I tried this next, added both like

setenv vpn_dns 'X.X.X.X X.X.X.X'

(tried without quotes too) but still no go. I then noticed that there was a
commented line in the qubes-vpn-handler.sh script so I added that line in that
script and took it out of the ovpn file, still not able to ping non ip
addresses...

Then when you connect and list your nat table again, you should see the
DNS IP there.

Chris

and both times (restarting vpnvm/appvm) the new DNS didn't show up when i tried
to list the nat tables?

I would have thought manually putting in the DNS would have been sufficent?

I thought I'd let you know another user was having the same symptoms (IP access but no DNS) because Network Manager was running in the vpn vm... https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/f35d90b9-2632-4f91-afff-3e1f8ac26302%40googlegroups.com

If you had enabled Network Manager in that vm you should disable it. Other possible workarounds are putting a 7sec delay in handler script, or renaming the qubes-setup-dnat-to-ns file before openvpn is run (see linked thread for details).

Chris