On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 6:05:39 PM UTC+3, J. Eppler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> till now the argument of Qubes OS was that there are no laptops with AMD
> CPU's or APU's which Qubes OS can run on.
>
> Qubes OS primary focus is on laptops and than on workstations.
>
> Qubes OS uses Xen to isolate "qubes" (vms) from each other. Xen can run on
> AMD, Intel, ARM and other platforms. Therefor Qubes itself is not dependent
> on the hardware itself. Qubes depends on certain virtualization extensions
> like Second Level Address Translation (SLAT), CPU virtualization extension
> and IO-Virtualization (IOMMU). AMD has all those virtualization features. So,
> in theory Qubes OS could run on AMD chips.
>
> The problem till now was that AMD was not producing any hardware which was
> able to compete with Intel's quasi mono pole. This changed with this weeks
> AMD Zen announcement. The next question is: when does AMD Zen CPU's will
> appear in laptops?
>
> The next question is, will AMD offer SEV support for consumer CPU's?

I thought I read somewhere that Qubes is moving to hardware-enabled
virtualization, though? Zen laptops were supposed to arrive first half of 2017,
but I think they got delayed to second half of 2017 now. So yeah, it will be a
while until enough people have these. But a Qubes/OEM partnership could still
make them relevant sooner. I don't know if ZEV will be in all consumer chips,
but considering SGX is in Skylake+ now, I would hope so. AMD does seem to
target this at "cloud companies" in their paper, though...I'm sure we'll find
out more about it by early next year.