I know Joanna has long talked about how insecure X11 is and how the Qubes team
worked to isolate the GUI. Wouldn't it be simpler if Qubes became Wayland-only
sooner?

It seems Fedora 25 will enable Wayland by default [1], but I think it will
still have a XWayland layer for app compatibility. Will Qubes need that, too?
Or can it become Wayland-only by the time Qubes OS 4.0 is out? Are there still
too many components in the Fedora core that need X11 and can't be transitioned
to Wayland anytime soon?

Also, since flatpaks [2] will take full advantage of Wayland security, and it
seems to be the app packaging format to take security seriously the most
[3][4][5], maybe encourage flatpak use in Qubes 4.0 somehow, and install its
runtime by default in Qubes 4.0?

[1]
https://linux.slashdot.org/story/16/08/20/0341200/fedora-25-to-run-wayland-by-default-instead-of-xorg-server

[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/SandboxedApps