> On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 1:50:22 PM UTC-7, johny...@sigaint.org
> wrote:
>> BTW, keepassx rocks.  I'm working on some scripts to make it a little
>> less
>> painful with all the Ctrl-Alt-C and Ctrl-Alt-V'ing (which also conflicts
>> with the standard konsole paste shortcuts).
>
> I have no problem with the special cut/paste. Doesn't mean I don't screw
> it up on occasion, but I do like the assurance of having to do the step
>
> Actually you betray yourself with the correct solution above;

Speaking of "betraying yourself," that's why I am working on a few scripts.

More than once, I've thought I've copied they URL (from sigaint, for
example) and gone to paste it, but I copied/pasted the password instead
into the URL bar.  D'oh!  Even if I didn't load the page, with SIGINT
stuff, I don't like having my password show up on the screen.

Some scripts to let keepassx in a non-network VM interact with a networked
VM's browser could avoid such betraying-yourself screwups.

A few Qubes features are described as not protecting you from others, but
protecting you from yourself.  This falls into that category, IMO.

> the Qubes
> shortcut to copy/paste between VM's is Ctrl-Shift-C/V which conflicts. I,
> like you, map that to Ctrl-Alt-C/V so no conflict. I've wondered why that
> isn't the default since the other is such an obvious conflict.

Agreed.  It's way too obvious a conflict.  There's just not enough key
combos on the damn keyboard it seems sometimes.  :)

>> Using keepassx on Tails is so much more streamlined, without the extra
>> level of copying/pasting.  It'd almost be nice if there were some
>> explicit
>> dom0 support for it somehow.
>
> Yeah but Tails suffers from the same thing other OS's do which is one big
> system. So if it was theoretically compromised your streamlined copy/paste
> is exactly what you don't want.

I'm a bit torn on that issue.  Calling it "one big system" when Qubes is
arguably more complex, I'm not sure is correct.  I guess it depends upon
your perceived threats.  There have been times when things got "weird" on
Qubes, and retreating to a Tails DVD-rom felt safer.  But the Xen-on-top
(with IOMMU protection against DMA attacks, etc.) ultimately should be
safer.  So confusing at times.

> Nothing you don't know, but I don't want the inter-VM copy/paste to change
> a bit. It's a small burden for a huge benefit. It also has an additional
> benefit of each VM having it's own Paste buffer, which ends up being very
> convenient.

I hear ya.  Right now, I *trust* the inter-VM copy/paste mechanism.  I
don't want features introduced that make it more complex/less trustworthy.
 And I think the tools are there with qrexec and the permissions system
implemented to do what I want it to do, without changing the core.  So
yeah.  :)  If it's working, don't break it.

>> Agreed.  I keep my keepass database on one removable device, with a
>> keyfile on a separate removable device plus a password.  Some cowardly
>> creep/crook wants to tamper with my system while I'm out, they're not
>> going to get very far.
>
> I'd argue that your actually less secure with that scheme. Johanna made
> some comments to that effect, what you are doing is a kind of air-gapping,
> but you have a large attack surface through USB.

Trust me, every time I hear those three letters, U.S.B., I think "security
compromise."  Why they ever let programmable firmware and stuff into the
mix totally escapes me.

If WW3 every happens, I swear it will be triggered by some USB security
screwup.  :)

I actually load most of my keys off of 3.5" diskettes.  :)  Sometimes
retro feels more secure, less hackable.

> If an Evil Maid controls
> your system it does you no good to bring in your passwords on a USB.

No TPM here, just BIOS, so I don't think anti-evil-maid is something that
applies to me.  I could be wrong, need to research it more personally.

I have a couple of personal anti-tampering approaches I use myself in lieu
of that, which I might suggest as additions to Qubes at some point; but I
won't talk about them just yet.

> So,
> if you're really concerned with that you should be implementing
> Anti-Evil-Maid on your system as the only defense - not keeping passwords
> separate.

I'll read up on that more.

Can't afford a maid, but I think there are other evil actors about.  :)

>> Since moving to that approach, I've noticed a lot more "noise" from the
>> ones I suspect of being involved in my harassment.  Ironically, probably
>> good sign.
>
> OH, OK then you have a situation with a probably not too computer
> sophisticated opponent. Never mind then.

The biggest mistake I've made (repeatedly) is underestimating the
opponent.  I have been totally naive throughout a lot of the grief.

(In reality, I think there's a mix: one or more sophisticated opponents;
and mostly likely expensive hired help.  And one or more obviously
not-to-sophisticated actors, that make obvious screw-ups now and then.
Which makes things all more interesting.)

>>  But having individual keys for each VM would go further towards one
>> stated goal of disallowing each VM or dom0 from being able to snoop on
>> each other.
>>
> That should only be useful against Qubes bugs which allow sibling VM
> peeking, but otherwise doesn't help.

The more I think about sibling-VM-peeking, the less I think it's a threat.
 I've argued against this type of thought before, but if inter-VM-peeking
succeeds somehow, you're pretty much screwed overall on the system.

(Inter-VM peeking is pretty much a dom0 escalation, in essence.)

>> Right now, the overall dom0 filesystem is encrypted, which is cool, but
>> nothing beyond that, unless you do it yourself.  Yeah, more passwords
>> are
>> a pain, but if you choose to do so in the name of security, it'd be nice
>> if the Manager supported it.
>
> The main problem with it is that the Qubes team is busy and underfunded
> enough to work on that feature. Their time is better spent making sure
> there are no chance of sneaky/peaky.

Understood.  And I hope to help contribute to their efforts someday in
some small way, to help with that situation.

As mentioned, simply having a separately encrypted device (sadly, often
USB) that one can attach to a VM, addresses most of my desires for
individual VM filesystem encryption.  I really don't keep anything of
value or interest on the VM's private filesystem.

(Nor do I really have anything of value or interest at all, lol.  I just
want some peace of mind and privacy.)

Appreciate the response and the thoughts.

Cheers.

JJ