nekroze.law...@gmail.com:
> On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 12:57:54 PM UTC+10, Jeremy Rand wrote:
>> Seems to me that an attack could be constructed where the Tor exit used
>> for update downloads feeds sys-whonix an exploit, and from there is able
>> to either break out of Tor, or compromise Tor in some way that may
>> affect other VM's' anonymity.
>
> Forgive me if I am misunderstanding the scenario you proposed, but the setup
> in question "sys-net>sys-firewall>sys-whonix>sys-update" If dom0 uses
> sys-update to pull updates we should be ok. The default for when qubes is
> told to use whonix/tor for updates however is
> "sys-net>sys-firewall>sys-whonix" with sys-whonix being the update VM if I
> remember correctly. In that case dnf/yum is in fact running in a whonix VM
> (which as you mention might be a security issue) and the previously discussed
> method should prevent that, however as Marek mentioned it is not the default
> because it would require the addition of another appVM and the base setup
> should be as minimal as possible. Not everyone has 16+gb of ram.

Yes, you understand the scenario I suggested correctly.  I agree with
you and Marek that, for users with less RAM, it may be an acceptable
tradeoff to run the update in sys-whonix.  However, there are some users
who either have a lot of RAM or are willing to shut down other VM's
while performing dom0 updates in order to gain some extra security, and
I think it would be reasonable for those users to use a "sys-update" VM
for dom0 updates.  I also think that this is something that might make
sense to ask the user on Qubes install, and automatically configure
"sys-update" if the user opts for the extra security.

The attack surface probably isn't massive here.  But I always like
reducing attack surface when feasible, and using a "sys-update" VM seems
like a decent way to do so.

If Marek (or perhaps Patrick) disagree with me that there's a security
vs RAM usage tradeoff, I'd be very interested to hear their analysis on
this.

Cheers,
-Jeremy Rand