On 09/03/2016 05:43 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 03, 2016 at 05:11:38AM +1000, kij...@larky.me wrote:
>> I installed 3.2rc3 from scratch today after having been on 3.1. I
>> restored my appvms from 3.1 but not my fedora-23 template.
>
>> After installing some packages into my (new) fedora-23 template none of
>> the app shortcuts for any VM based on that template work. They launch
>> the VM but no applications launch.
>
>> qvm-run does work and is the only way I can launch most things right now :)
>
>> I have run qvm-sync-appmenus fedora-23, tried deleting/moving
>> appmenus.whitelist and various folders containing .desktop files and
>> have only made the problem worse in that there are lots of things
>> missing from my xfce menu but still none of the things on there work.
>
>> I could use some help. Any thoughts/advice would be most welcome.
>
> Check to what command those .desktop files points - should have
> something like Exec=qvm-run .... Try to call that exact command manually
> and see if you'll get some error. If not (but still application do not
> launch), add "-p" option to get more details.

Thanks.

With -p I see the error 'no module named qubes' and suddenly it's clear
this is all my fault and I know what I did wrong.

My first step in modifying the fedora template was to link
/usr/bin/python to
python3 rather than python2.

Oops. I didn't think about how that'd affect qubes at all. Perhaps
#!/usr/bin/python2 would make more sense? But no matter.

Changed it back so python > python2. It's all working again. I think I
didn't even need to backup the .desktop files I deleted because
qvm-sync-appmenus does whatever it has to do.