On 2016-09-03 04:58, grzegorz.chodzi...@gmail.com wrote:
> W dniu sobota, 3 września 2016 13:37:27 UTC+2 użytkownik pixel
> fairy napisał:
>> On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 2:32:54 AM UTC-7,
>> grzegorz....@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I know that QubesOS is developed mostly with notebook use in
>>> mind, however some users, me included, opt to run it on
>>> desktop computers. The question is, is there any advantage of
>>> building a Qubes-dedicated machine on workstation/server
>>> components?
>>
>> mostly ecc ram. its a shame non-ecc is so prevalent. in practice,
>> i dont think the difference is worth it. there are many more
>> important variables.
>>
>>> Will Qubes be able to take advantage of higher core count in
>>> Xeon processors? Or two processors if a user decides to build
>>> a dual-CPU rig? Does the system performance scale with the
>>> number of available cores/ clock speed?
>>
>> yes.
>>
>>> Can it take advantage of ECC RAM? Server hardware that is few
>>> years old can be bought for dirt cheap (Xeon E5-2670 has 8
>>> cores and costs about 75$).
>>
>> it will benefit the same as any another machine from ecc ram.
>>
>>> I'll be upgrading from my current PC and I'm seriously
>>> considering building a rig around a Xeon processor and a
>>> motherboard with ECC RAM but if there is no real benefit then
>>> what's the point?
>>
>> apparently price is the advantage, but think of your ears!
>> server hardware is loud.
>>
>> if your willing to spend more on good hardware, go for a good
>> ssd, and good ddr4 ram (G.Skill or Geil) in case bitflipping
>> attacks start showing up.
>>
>> http://news.softpedia.com/news/rowhammer-attack-now-works-on-ddr4-mem
ory-501898.shtml

> Xeon it is then. As for the rowhammering attack as far as I know
> ECC RAM is not vulnereable to that.

Unfortunately, that's not true:

"Tests show that simple ECC solutions, providing single-error
correction and double-error detection (SECDED) capabilities, are not
able to correct or detect all observed disturbance errors because some
of them include more than two flipped bits per memory word."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Row_hammer#Mitigation

> t's a shame that the more powerful Xeon CPUs don't come with a
> built in GPU, I'll have to make do with a current one. Added
> benefit here is that pretty much all Xeons support technologies
> necessary for Qubes 4.0 compliance. Wonder why they aren't more
> popular among desktop users.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS