Does the new USB passthrough feature also work with Windows HVMs?

For work I need to use software that is only available on Windows and it uses a
DRM system which requires a connected USB flash drive counterpart in order to
start the software(I think it's from Codemeter, but I'm not sure). I'd rather
not use dual boot or swap hard drives in the same machine to use a Windows
installation but want to use a Windows HVM instead.

If this is not the case would attaching the USB controller with PCI passthrough
work? Because I read quite a lot reports of it not working properly with HVMs.