I've found the issue,
if we go to System Tools -> Settings Editor -> xfce4-mixer
you need to set the property "active-card" to the value of the card you want to
change volume for. This is independent of which card is active for alsa by
default.

However the mute is still broken. When you press mute, it mutes both Master &
Speaker, when it unmutes it only unmutes property "active-track" which is
typically Master OR Speaker.