amadaus:
> Hi
> Some of you may be interested in setting up your own personal VPN using
> streisand software? I first read obout this in Ars Technica [
> http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/06/aiming-for-anonymity-ars-assesses-the-state-of-vpns-in-2016/]
> and have since tried it out in a dedicated Streisand VM.
> To me, it seems to offer very high levels of security and anonominity.
> Does anyone else have any views on this software? - it can be accessed
> via github https://github.com/jlund/streisand.

I wasn't aware of streisand before you mentioned it.

Normally, I would suggest that the best method for setting up a personal VPN,
is to set up a personal VPN. Even for pure novices, there are many
comprehensive, user-friendly guides that will set you up with a secure
configuration. (Digitalocean & Linode have nice tutorials, like this one:
https://www.linode.com/docs/networking/vpn/set-up-a-hardened-openvpn-server).
In the process, you can also learn about firewalls, authentication, services,
etc.

On the other hand, there's definitely a place for turnkey solutions with safe
defaults. It's a shame though that the streisand installer is currently not
able to selectively install services
(https://github.com/jlund/streisand/issues/23). The security best practice of
only enabling needed services to minimize attack surface is overshadowed by
usability concerns. A full streisand install consists of "L2TP/IPsec,
OpenConnect, OpenSSH, OpenVPN, Shadowsocks, sslh, Stunnel, and a Tor bridge"
plus a webserver!

If you connect to a VPS anonymously, one nice advantage of using an
out-of-the-box preconfigured solution is that it may give you a measure of
deniability. Certainly more than you would get by applying your own unique
iptables rules + comments in Swahili that would fingerprint you as sysadmin.

Seems like streisand is a project worth following. Plus it's important to
remember that its purpose is to configure a censorship circumvention server,
not provide network security and/or anonymity. Unless bypassing censorship is
your only goal, IMO its services should be used before and/or after Tor. (and
obviously, not both on the same server).