On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 10:15:52 PM UTC+2, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
wrote:
> > However, after renaming the /rw/config/suspend-module-blacklist, rebooting
> > USBVM and suspend-resume cycle, the USBVM does not see any USB device.
> > (Currently, both controllers are assigned to USBVM and I use internal
> > laptop keyboard instead.)
>
> Check USBVM kernel messages. Maybe driver didn't correctly reset the
> device. Most likely full reboot will help.

Yes, USBVM reboot always helps there (unless it fails to start due to
fragmented memory).

But this time, it was kind of easier. It seems that the modules just failed to
be reinserted on resume for some unknown reason. After manual modprobe, it
started working (at least lsusb can see a connected device) for both USB2 and
USB3 controllers.

> If your keyboard is on connected through that USB VM, it will allow
> sniffing.

What adversary are you talking about?
* If USBVM is compromised, it can sniff the keystrokes. That's clear.
* If USBVM is OK, but there is a malicious USB device on the same USB
controller (hub) as the keyboard, I assume it can sniff just commands sent to
keyboards (e.g. NumLock/CapsLock/ScrollLock state, which is usually not much
interesting), but not keys. (It can forge keystrokes, though.) Is this correct?

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'