On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 12:23:15 AM UTC, 3n7r...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 12:30:42 PM UTC, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
> wrote:
> > I haven't tested this version on 3.1, but I think it should work. Just
> > uploaded to current-testing.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Everything I tested is flawless **until the #updates stage**.
>
> =================================
>
> installation: no issues (up to #updates - see below)
>
> multi-monitor: not tested
> tested resolution: 4 megapixels
> seamless mode: working
> full desktop mode: working
>
> secure clipboard: working
> private storage: working
> qvm-block: working
> qvm-run: working
> qvm-open-in-vm: working
> qvm-copy-to-vm: working
> auto-networking: working
>
> =================================
>
> Test Procedure
>
> #install windows
>
> QubesVMM: create templateHVM: "win-7"
> netVM: none; vCPU: 4; RAM: 4GB
> Private Storage: 10GB; System Storage: 40GB
>
> qvm-start win-7 --cdrom=appVM:/path/to/iso
> iso=en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939.iso
>
> disable UAC
> disable updates
> enable auto-logon
> bcdedit /set testsigning on
> shutdown
>
> #install QWT
>
> qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-current-testing qubes-windows-tools
> clone win-7 to win-7-qwt-1, win-7-qwt-2
>
> for each qwt clone:
> qvm-prefs -s win-7-qwt-? qrexec_timeout 600
> qvm-start win-7-qwt-? --install-windows-tools
>
> [note re: PV disk drivers. For my first test (with just 1 vm), I disabled PV
> disk drivers and experienced 5-6 bsod's and/or permanent yellow hangs. No
> idea if there is any causality there. Reason for enabling PV disk is that
> installing .Net package required 30 minutes just to see any movement in the
> progress bar. (Might not all be due to PV disk - slowness might be causing
> other things to timeout?) With PV disk enabled, the update took less than 10
> secs. I might guess that many bug reports are due to the INSANELY slow non-PV
> disk ops being mistaken for system hangs... To be fair, Virtualbox similarly
> has bad disk performance prior to installing Guest Additions. Surprisingly,
> no issues at all installing PV disk.]
>
> #update Windows **Problems here**
>
> wsusoffline update
>
> [future steps:
>   enable netVM
>   windows activation
>   windows update
> ]
>
> =================================
>
> Made it to the end of the offline update process with 2 identical clones
> following the exact same procedure. One boots and is ready to go. The other
> received dom0 notice about outdated GUI protocol. Will not complete boot
> after repeated attempts. I can't make any sense of the logs - can't even
> [...]

So currently, I have 2 Windows HVM Templates, named win7-qwt1 & win7-qwt2. They
were installed with networking off so they should be identical. QWT (complete
install) was installed without any errors.

I've been starting and shutting down each of them repeatedly with these results
(Qubes logs attached):

win7-qwt1-1-fail: no desktop loaded; hanging on yellow state
win7-qwt1-2-success: successful boot to desktop
win7-qwt1-3-fail: no desktop; qrexec error
win7-qwt1-4 success: successful boot to desktop
(no logs) #5: success; bsod on shutdown (max cpu) (named "win7-qwt1")
(no logs) #6: success (named "host")
(no logs) #7: success (named "host")

win7-qwt2-1-success
win7-qwt2-2-fail: hanging yellow
win7-qwt2-3-success
(no logs) #4: fail
(no logs) #5: fail
(no logs) #6: success (named "host")
(no logs) #7: fail
(no logs) #8: fail
(no logs) #9: success (named "win7-qwt2")

As stated before, the VM window title is unpredictable - sometimes, the window
is named "[win7-qwt1] win7-qwt1" and sometimes it's "[win7-qwt1] host". This is
true of both vm's. A race condition? I am inclined to suggest that the VMs
function more properly when they are named "host". Also, after all the starts
and stops, I've got a leftover VM window that wasn't cleaned up properly and
can't be closed.