On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 9:26 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki <
marma...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:

> [...]
> slightly
> > inaccurate.
> >
> > These instructions (after verification) should replace the shortcut
> kludge
> > of the signal page you created:
> >
> > My Signal AppVM uses the fedora-23 template, and I have renamed the
> > .desktop file that Chrome created on that AppVM's desktop to
> > signal.desktop. Now what?
> >
> > 1. Open a dom0 terminal, cd to /var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/fedora-23/
> > 2. Copy Signal:/home/user/Desktop/signal.desktop to
> > dom0:/var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/fedora-23/apps.templates/signal.desktop
> > 3. Lightly edit
> > dom0:/var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/fedora-23/apps.templates/signal.desktop
> > be as follows:
> >
> > [Desktop Entry]
> > Version=1.0
> > Type=Application
> > Terminal=false
> > X-Qubes-VmName=%VMNAME%
> > Icon=%VMDIR%/apps.icons/signal.png
> > Name=%VMNAME%: Signal Private Messenger
> > GenericName=%VMNAME%: Signal
> > Comment=Private Instant Messenger
> > Exec=qvm-run -q --tray -a %VMNAME% -- 'qubes-desktop-run
> > /home/user/Desktop/Signal.desktop'
> >
> > 4. Copy
> > Signal:/rw/home/user/.local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/
> apps/chrome-<long_string>-Default.png
> > dom0:/var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/fedora-23/apps.
> templates/apps.icons/signal.png
> >
> > 5. Copy
> > dom0:/var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/fedora-23/apps.
> templates/apps.icons/signal.png
> > dom0:/var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/fedora-23/apps.
> templates/apps.tempicons/signal.png
> >
> > 6. At this point you should be all set. Ensure Qubes knows about the new
> > menu item you created by starting the fedora-23 template VM and then
> > running in a dom0 terminal: qvm-sync-appmenus fedora-23
> >
> > 7. You should now be able to go back to the GUI and from the Q menu: Q ->
> > Domain: Signal -> Signal: Add more shortcuts...
> > In the window that will appear, you should now have "Signal Private
> > Messenger" on the left list of available apps. I moved this to the
> > "Selected" list and hit OK, which put the entry in my Q menu.
> >
> > 8. Then I went to Q -> Domain: Signal. I right-clicked on "Signal:Signal
> > Private Messenger" and selected "Add to panel".
> >
> > 9. Success! I now have a button in my KDE panel with which I can launch
> > Signal with one click.
> >
> > Hope these steps get documented in the wiki (I'm not attempting a direct
> > edit lest I break something) and are helpful to people.
>
> Content of /var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/fedora-23/apps.templates (and
> other apps.* there) is generated based on /usr/share/applications and
> /usr/local/share/applications in the VM. This include removing from dom0
> files not present in the VM.
> So, instead of copying files manually to dom0, place them in one of
> those directories (I suggest /usr/share/applications, as it is shared
> with AppVMs), and then request synchronization to dom0:

Okay, this looks like a much more reasonable approach, but still no cigar
for me.

I copied
SignalVM::/home/user/Desktop/chrome-bikioccmkafdpakkkcpdbppfkghcmihk-Default.desktop
to fedora23::/usr/share/applications and then ran dom0::qvm-sync-appmenus
fedora-23

It complained "Failed to get icon for
chrome-bikioccmkafdpakkkcpdbppfkghcmihk-Default.desktop: No icon received",
so I also copied
SignalVM::/home/user/.local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/chrome-bikioccmkafdpakkkcpdbppfkghcmihk-Default.png
to fedora23::/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/ . I then re-ran
dom0::qvm-sync-appmenus fedora-23 and this time it did not complain.
Indeed, I now have a menu item with a nice icon available in all menus of
my AppVM.

But enabling the menu item for the SignalVM and then clicking it, does not
actually launch the application - it has no visible effect, just a small
icon bouncing briefly, then no window. The SignalVM starts, but the
application doesn't.

Clicking the original .desktop shortcut created inside SignalVM continues
to work fine.

Contents of the (working)
SignalVM:/home/user/Desktop/chrome-bikioccmkafdpakkkcpdbppfkghcmihk-Default.desktop:
#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Name=Signal Private Messenger
Exec=/usr/lib64/chromium-browser/chromium-browser.sh
--profile-directory=Default --app-id=bikioccmkafdpakkkcpdbppfkghcmihk
Icon=chrome-bikioccmkafdpakkkcpdbppfkghcmihk-Default
StartupWMClass=crx_bikioccmkafdpakkkcpdbppfkghcmihk

Contents of the (non-working) dom0:/var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/
fedora-23/apps.templates/chrome-bikioccmkafdpakkkcpdbppfkghcmihk-Default.desktop:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=false
X-Qubes-VmName=%VMNAME%
Icon=%VMDIR%/apps.icons/chrome-bikioccmkafdpakkkcpdbppfkghcmihk-Default.png
Name=%VMNAME%: Signal Private Messenger
Exec=qvm-run -q --tray -a %VMNAME% -- 'qubes-desktop-run
/usr/share/applications/chrome-bikioccmkafdpakkkcpdbppfkghcmihk-Default.desktop'

Have I done something wrong here, or has something been long in
"translation" by the qvm-sync-appmenus script?

Alex