Apparently, the configuration at the bottom of https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/i3/
are unnecessary if you install i3-settings-qubes.  You should do that before
running i3, if you haven't remove .config/i3 in dom0 and then rerun.  In
addition to customizing terminal generation, and fixing up the scripts, it also
provides a qubes specific status bar.

I'm not a big fan of dmenu.  I did build a mode switch ($mod+p) for starting
programs in various VMs; probably build another mode switch for starting a
terminal in various VMs.

I used an external monitor in addition to notebook screen so I created an extra
10 workspace (using the function keys).