Regarding 4. When this happens, I launch "network connections" in sys-net to
bring the icon back. I usually need to do this on starting a new session.

Other than that, I just use dmenu. You can set applications in the VM manager,
and they show up in dmenu with the VM name prefixed. This way i can, for
example, launch keepassx on vault by typing something equivalent to "vaul kee"

I rarely start/stop VMs manually. The VM manager seems to handle it
automatically well enough.

Jonathan