On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 06:45:43AM -0700, m...@lamarciana.com wrote:
> Hi. Finally I get some light from the other side :)
>
> It seems that freedesktop Desktop Menu Specification defines an environment
> variable which should contain a path with all directories with .desktop files:
>
> https://specifications.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-latest.html#paths
>
>     $XDG_DATA_DIRS/applications/
>
>         This directory contains a .desktop file for each possible menu item.
> Each directory in the $XDG_DATA_DIRS search path should be used (i.e. desktop
> entries are collected from all of them, not just the first one that exists).
> When two desktop entries have the same name, the one appearing earlier in the
> path is used.
>
>         The <DefaultAppDirs> element in a menu file indicates that this
> default list of desktop entry locations should be scanned at that point. If a
> menu file does not contain <DefaultAppDirs>, then these locations are not
> scanned.
>
> I have looked at `qvm-sync-appmenus` and I don't see it reading that
> variable. Can anyone confirm this point?

Yes, I can confirm:

        [user@testvm ~]$ cat /etc/qubes-rpc/qubes.GetAppmenus
        find /usr/share/applications/ /usr/local/share/applications/ -name
'*.desktop' -print0 2>/dev/null | \
                         xargs -0 awk '
                         BEGINFILE { entry="" }
                         /^\[/ { if (tolower($0) != "\[desktop entry\]")
nextfile }
                         /^Exec=/ { entry = entry FILENAME
":Exec=qubes-desktop-run " FILENAME "\n"; next }
                         /^NoDisplay *= *true$/ { entry=""; nextfile }
                         /=/ { entry = entry FILENAME ":" $0 "\n" }
                         ENDFILE { print entry }
                         ' 2> /dev/null

It uses /usr/share/applications/ /usr/local/share/applications/
directly.

Does Nix set $XDG_DATA_DIRS?

- --
Best Regards,