> Hi folks,
>
> Any chance that there will be added in the feature for snapshots?
> even CoW snapshots would be good, then a consolidation option once done.
>
> I have one issue where I want to do something, but I have to 7z the VM
> before I can do anything to it in-case it breaks.
>
> I know that there are CoW options there, but how do I access them?
> You already use the technology since 2.0, but I have not seen it go
> anything beyond that for the dispvm and the like.
>
> the AppVMs, they have CoW for them, but it's not persistant on the CoW
> file, that file is destroyed after the VM is shut down.
>
> I tried changing it to not be destroyed on shutdown when it used a CoW
> file, but Qubes just tell me to get stuffed and destroys it once the guest
> is shut down.
>
> How can I fix this please?

AppVM's are designed to toss changes, other than /home, /rw, /usr/local.
It's a good thing; if one gets compromised, it's a temporary compromise.
:)

If you want permanent changes, update your template.

But it sounds like you might want a "standalone VM":

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-vm/

Also, using BTRFS as a root (or VM host) filesystem should allow you to
snapshot/rollback the standalone VM to your heart's content (and clone it
instantly).  BTRFS is all about the copy-on-write.

JJ