> I forget which blackhat event,  they showed how you can think you are
> flashing a bios.  But the malware will remain.

That's creepy.  Don't most BIOS flashing utilities do a verification?  Or
perhaps the flashing utility itself is what was compromised in the
blackhat demo.

Another reason why doing a flashrom under Tails, and then reading it back,
is a good idea of your motherboard supports it.  Pretty hard for malware
to fake that (at least without some additional flash storage to do its
tricks).

At the very least, using a slightly "unexpected" utility like flashrom
helps dodge the obvious hacks.

(Similar to someone's post in reply to the Laptop internet sharing thread,
that using a *different* VM isolation on the laptop, KVM/Qemu or whatever,
might be a good idea.  For an attacker to have to compromise Xen *and*
Qemu, makes for a busy project to say the least.  It'd very likely stop
any automated virus in its tracks.)

JJ