On Wednesday, 28 September 2016 21:07:47 UTC+10, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 07:59:55PM -0700, Drew White wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 28 September 2016 12:46:10 UTC+10, johny...@sigaint.org
> > wrote:
> > > Pretty sure the answer is "no."  You can assign a whole USB bus (which is
> > > typically a single PCI device) to a VM, but you can't split it up beyond
> > > that, other than the default of having dom0 relay specific devices to
> > > specific VM's (which isn't dom0 USB isolation at all).
> > >
> > > My mobo has 8 USB ports, but they're all on a single bus, so it's all or
> > > nothing.
> > >

> > Hi JJ,
> >
> > My PC has 10 USB Bus's.
> > My keyboard and mouse are on bus 10, which is PCI device XXXX.XX.X and I
> > left that one on Dom0.
> >
> > However I now have another issue...
> >
> > "Error starting VM 'sys-usb': Requested operation is not valid: PCI device
> > 0000:00:1a.0 is in use by driver xenlight, domain sys-usb"
>
> I assume this is after previous failed sys-usb startup, right? There is
> a bug in libvirt that device is not marked as unused when VM fails to
> start. Workaround: restart libvirtd service. Close Qubes Manager first.
> If you still get an error, take a look here:
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/user-faq/#i-created-a-usbvm-and-assigned-usb-controllers-to-it-now-the-usbvm-wont-boot

That appears to have resolved the problem thanks Marek.

As for doing the pci strict reset to false, they are being assigned to a
container, so that's good, they won't be available to dom0.
How do I assign them and deassign them from Dom0 before the system boots?