On Thu, 6 Oct 2016, 01:15 Andrew David Wong, <a...@qubes-os.org> wrote:

> On 2016-10-05 15:30, boromirsbe...@sigaint.org wrote:
>
> > 3. Installing a printer produces an authentication window when attempting
> > to add a printer. The documentation doesnt provide what those login
> > details are, attempting to use ones user login credentials is denied.
> >

> This sounds like something specific to your printer or to CUPS, not a
> Qubes-specific issue.

If the "authentication window" is produced by CUPS (I usually manage CUPS
with a browser to http://localhost:631 ), then a set of credentials that
will work are root plus any non-empty random password.

I have a personal hate-based relationship with CUPS. From what I remember,
CUPS as we know it in the GNU+Linux world, is some kind of aborted
Frankenstein built by Apple which they have probably evolved or
caged/wrapped in MacOS, buy we deal with it face to face over the counter.
In special (but not the onky reason) I despise it because it (by default?)
requests the root credentials and you are expected to supply them to a web
browser.

BTW, I remember disabling the CUPS service on my templateVMs, because it
used to be running by default on every VM and DispVM. I don't know if this
is still the case.

Cheers,
pablo