On Monday, September 22, 2014 at 3:51:34 PM UTC+2, Jos den Bekker wrote:
> On 22 september 2014 12:18:59 UTC+2 Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Try access it using "sudo xl console VMNAME" (login as root there).
>

> Thanks. That saved my VM
>
> I changed the command in rc.local into su - user -c "dropbox start &", but
> same disastrous result. I left out the ampersand, same result. I'm not sure I
> understand this. "dropbox" is a frontend python script in /usr/bin, and I
> should think that with "su" the script runs within the VM.
>
> But "work" is the only VM that has the dropbox daemon installed, so now I
> execute it directly in rc.local, and that works perfectly.
>
> Thanks for all the feedback.

May I ask how did you manage to make it work in the end?

I am using this approach with dropbox but somehow cannot start it up.
cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64"; | tar xzf -
Next, run the Dropbox daemon from the newly created .dropbox-dist folder.
~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

My guess is that rc.local is executed as root.