> I'm having same issue, I know there is enough space because df -h shows
> 198G available and qemu-img-xen info image.vmdk shows that the virtual
> disk size is 8G

I've had cases with the qemu tools where it reported a write error because
it had trouble reading one of the input files (corrupted, I think it was,
or maybe a usage error).

Put a "strace -o /tmp/log.txt" before your command, and go look at the
system calls that resulted in it giving that error message.  You might see
a read error, or more specifics on the nature of the write failure.