I have been trying to get a program to startup when the AppVM that its setup in
starts up by adding a line to the rc.local file.

I changed rc.local to executable, and after the first few tries added in
programs that should definitely start (I thought) like firefox (just to test).
But still every time I start the appvm, nothing? Is it the rc.local that is
supposed to be used or another init file?