16.10.2016, 01:03, "raahe...@gmail.com" <raahe...@gmail.com>:
> On Saturday, October 15, 2016 at 5:09:46 PM UTC-4, QubesOS User wrote:
>>  Hello everyone,
>>  I could imagine that this question has been discussed before already, and
>> if this should be the case, then I'm very sorry for posting this (I'd be
>> thankful for an according link if so though).
>>  I think that I've gained quite much knowledge about possible attack
>> surfaces provided on hardware and software level during the last 15 years,
>> trying to keep up-to-date and often doing research on new approaches in this
>> field. First of all, I'd like to stress that the 'objection' (which I don't
>> mean as such) I may raise by this post does not have any intention of
>> criticizing the great work and effort done by the QubesOS developers and the
>> community (it's not meant as an unhelpful 'critique' at all). Much rather I
>> have a huge respect for the commitment shown by everyone involved in the
>> development of QubesOS.
>>  Having compared various approaches in this field (e. g. OpenBSD, Linux
>> using a hardened security kernel, GNU Hurd), I'd basically come to the
>> conclusion that QubesOS is the most promising approach, especially if VT-d
>> isolation is available.
>>  However, the main points I'd like to address are:
>>  1) XEN is developed by people working for a company based in the U.S. (I
>> know the difference between open-source and proprietary software, but still
>> they belong to the same team/company). If even developers of TrueCrypt
>> received one of those 'blue letters' - What is the reason to assume that the
>> XEN developers didn't receive one of those as well? Seen from the
>> perspective of the NSA it looks totally odd and irrational to me if they
>> would not to so, since they can do so, and it's their task to thwart any
>> efforts which might hinder them from collecting data. I don't regard those
>> people as being 'evil' or anything like that (nor do I regard this as being
>> positive, which should go without saying), I just look at things in a
>> rational way: If QubesOS is a great approach to ensure security, then one
>> must be naive to assume that this won't automatically lead to classifiying
>> this as a 'high priority target' - With all the consequences.
>>  1.2) Since this looks so obvious to me: Why isn't it a top priority for
>> QubesOS developers to make use of a supervisor (or develop an independent
>> one, which would surely need endless efforts, but wouldn't it be worth it?),
>> which is not subjected to the objections I tried to express?
>>  2) QubesOS totally relies on 2.1) trusting XEN developers to completely
>> understand the more than just complex x64 architecture being used today and
>> 2.2) on trusting Intel's VT technology.
>>  Regarding 2.2): Just assuming Intel would have received some kind of
>> 'advice' (they may even find motivation without getting such - I certainly
>> don't think that Intel is an 'NSA subcontractor', but they are simply a big
> [...]

But for that purpose you most definitely don't use QubesOS, and that's quite a
point. You can achieve that with any Linux distro, you just need to configure
it the right way, which is pretty easy.

By the way: I'd still doubt that you could stop the NSA from spying on you if
they'd want to, but 1) developing an independet supervisor from the scratch, 2)
finally moving away from x64 architecture (see the security bulletins) [or at
least using open hardware] and 3) running QubesOS behind a router like Turris
Omnia would make it quite difficult for the NSA to watch/attack you.

And you might have misunderstood me: I certainly trust ITL, in fact they're one
of the very few people involved in IT security I trust - Joanna Rutkowska's
warnings against XEN are the best prove for this.

I'd be curious how much effort and time would be needed to write a supervisor
from the scratch.

Kind regards and all the best