Hi Max, so it looks like you started getting complicated quick.  I think
your first attempt should be fine actually, with one modification.

1) insert a rule at the top of the forwarding table (above 3) accepting
connections between the two, as you did
2) try an 'arping' command between the two and you'll probably see no
response -- in which case, turn on 'proxy_arp' for each of the interfaces
in question in the firewall:

sysctl -w net/ipv4/conf/vifX.0/proxy_arp=1  <= where vifX.0 are the
interfaces to the VMs you want to network

Then if you do 'arping' it should return the broadcast MAC
(fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff) and the firewall should route packets between your
VMs.  Hope that's helpful, cheers,

=D