On 2016-10-26 10:29, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 10/26/2016 12:46 PM, maritnez wrote:
>> you have a file that contains sensitive banking data and would like to
>> delete it without leaving any traces on your system.
>>
>> you can 'move it to trash'
>> which moves it to the trash
>>
>> you can then press the delete button in your trash container but
>> is this really securely deleting the file without any chance of recovering
>> it?
>>

>> how to delete files without leaving ANY trace from it?
>>

> I think the surest non-physical method is to make sure the data is encrypted
> in the first place, and throw away the key/passphrase. On a typical Qubes
> configuration, this would mean re-encrypting and reinstalling the OS if your
> data was on the same LUKS volume as the OS.
>
> FWIW, Qubes supports SSD TRIM by default. This might provide a certain level
> of data erasure if you are using an SSD, leaving less data behind *on
> average*.  However, its not something you should rely on when deleting
> specific files. Some SSDs and HDDs also have a "secure erase" feature which
> erases the entire drive.
>
> Chris

Building on what Chris said, here are your general options, from best to worst:

1. Physical destruction of the storage medium. (usually overkill)
2. Make sure the data is encrypted before it ever touches the storage medium
(then wipe the encryption headers, if any, or keep the key secret).
3. Delete the files and overwrite them with a tool like "shred", and/or delete
them normally, then wipe all free space.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org