On Friday, 28 October 2016 11:33:28 UTC+11, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki  wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 05:15:45PM -0700, Drew White wrote:
> > Fedora 23 AppVM
> >
> > I have several issues.
> >
> > 1... Every time the AppVM starts, you rewrite the hosts file to
> > remove anything that I've put in there to make
> > it "127.0.0.1   {AppVMName}" instead of
> > "127.0.0.1 {the domain I entered for httpd usage}"
> > In an AppVM that uses a parent template, I know it would
> > overwrite because of the non-persistent changes. But I've got
> > my hosts file and I have it the way I have it and want it.
>
> Only the last entry is replaced, so anything you put before actual VM
> name should stay untouched. But if you still want to suppress even that,
> create /etc/qubes/protected-files.d/hosts with a single line:
> /etc/hosts

But that doesn't work.
I had 10 entries. ALL of them were changed.

I've added that line and will check it after I next re-start that guest. Thanks.
Do I have to do the same thing for other files?
Does that directory only protect for startup not letting Qubes change the file?
Or does it protect as in no-one is allowed to change it?

> > 2... I put a service to start in the services tab of the
> > settings in qubes-vm-settings python application, and the
> > services don't start.
>
> You probably tried to start service which doesn't support being
> controlled by this mechanism. Here is list of supported services:
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/dom0-tools/qvm-service/
> And here is how to add such support for anything else:
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-service/

Yup, you are right. So it's not a service manager, but only a qubes-service
manager.
I misunderstood that because of the naming.

> > Can either of these be fixed sometime? They have been an issue I have
> > raised in Qubes 2.0 as well.
>
> I don't want to waste my time on searching, but I believe you've got
> exactly the same answer before. It's not something to be fixed, it's
> something you don't know how to use.

I completely understand.
And no, I didn't get exactly the same answer before. I can gaurantee that 100%.
If I was provided that information the last time, I would not have been asking
this time, simple.

I know how to use services, but the fact that it only supports a limited number
of services, not all services is kind-of not good. The services all start the
same way, so why is there a limitation?

crond, cups, ntpd, network-manager... They all use the same methodology as
httpd, maridb, and others that I try to turn on on boot. Only difference in the
command is the fact it's httpd or mariadb instead of cups or crond.

So, I don't know what's going on or why it's done the way it is..

There isn't any limitation in qvm-manager to stop it from working. so why isn't
it working? Please explain? (don't take too long because I don't want to waste
too much of your time explaining what isn't explained anywhere)

Hope you can help Marek, since you are one of the few people that can explain
things technically enough that I can understand it. (so far)

Catch ya later.