On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 04:16:37AM -0800, Andrew David Wong wrote:

> On 2016-11-14 04:03, Salmiakki wrote:

> >> Well, I somewhat understand the first argument, but not the second. To
> >> have a bad usability and waste poeple's time just because other tools do
> >> is not a good argument I think.
> >>
> >> Obviously it is not unidirectional, otherwise the source would not know
> >> "out of disk space". This does not have to be an interactive feature,
> >> though.
> >> Why not give the "out of disk space" error before accepting the
> >> transfer? The communication from sink to source would be the same, but
> >> less time would be wasted.
> >
> > Maybe it could be done more general by just popping up a warning saying
> > "this VM is low on disk space".
> > It would not work for cases where you transfer extremely large files (or at
> > least it would only display the warning after transferring quite a large
> > chunk).
> > However, it would also work for everything else!
> > For example I once had a problem because I decided to sync my entire imap
> > folder for my mail VM and that is larger than 2 GB. The problem was
> > actually kind of hard to spot. Ideally of course, the warning would be
> > accompanied by an option to just extend the space (since it seems to be
> > possible to do that while the VM is running anyway).
> >

> I've actually seen such a warning in 3.1 and earlier (haven't had cause to
> see it yet in 3.2), so it must already exist in some sense (or did exist). I
> never bothered to look into how the threshold is calculated, though.
>
> - --
> Andrew David Wong (Axon)
> Community Manager, Qubes OS
> https://www.qubes-os.org

That message is thrown by the qube itself. It's a standard free space
check, not a Qubes thing.

On the question of "bad usability" it looks like horses for courses. I
personally don't want a warning if I've already started to clear out
space on the target. And if I'm transferring files as they are being
written, what use would the measure of free disk space be?

It isn't the TOOL here that will "waste people's time". They waste
their own time by not checking beforehand. There are some OS and tools
that try to fix this, but you see plenty of users baffled by the way
they work, and unsure why the warning arise. Best to keep it simple imo.

unman