On 11/14/2016 04:47 PM, dumbcyber wrote:
>From the beginning I have to ask for forgiveness - I am new to Qubes and have
no knowledge of changing boot managers beyond trial and error.

My hardware is a Macbook 11,1. In fact I don't have any other machines at home.

I want to create a bootable USB drive with Qubes R3.2. I had the usual problem
of seeing the 4-item menu to install but nothing working regardless of option
chosen.  I tried some forum suggestions like adding /noexitboot=1 to the cfg
file. No luck.

I created a working Qubes USB on a Lenovo computer at work. I was able to
create new VM's and set firewall rules. So I know it works.

Then my uninformed head took over. What if I took that USB and tried booting it
on my Macbook? The Macbook does not even recognise the USB at boot time. If I
boot into OSX I can get to the USB drive through terminal and mount it.

I then tried copying rEFInd to the Qubes USB stick but that just hangs the
Macbook after selecting the EFI boot option. I'm resisting installing rEFInd on
the Macbook itself until I know more about it especially the need to disable
SIP.

My question is: would that even work - copying rEFInd to the working USB drive
built on a Lenovo?  Are there any other options I could try?

Many thanks.

Macs are not a good fit for Qubes, but some have gotten the combination to work.

I've also found booting non-OSX USB drives to be uncertain. Not sure what the EFI options are here, but I do know that Linux is much easier to boot on a Mac from DVD.

Chris