On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 05:02:35PM -0800, Sec Tester wrote:
> A thought on security through obfuscation.
>
> Right now in terminal is you type: "uname -r" we get the kernel version,
> which has "qubes" in the name.
>
> Straight away the attacker, knows he's dealing with a qubes VM. Could we not
> name the kernels to match their original OS?
>
> And following that same concept, disguise any other tell tale signs this is a
> VM on Qubes. QubesIncoming, could just be called received.  Use non qubes
> unique process or packet names. This would also include renaming Xen stuff.
> Hiding any obvious qubes unique directories deeper into the file system.
>
> Of course if an attacker specifically tries to tell if they are in a VM its
> impossible to 100% hide it, but if an attacker does a quick check and thinks
> they're on a standard debian desktop, memory attacks & dom0 are never a
> target.
>
> Just an idea.

This has come up a few times before.

The problem is that there are countless ways of identifying a qube,
and your obfuscation will be clear to anyone who can see code: the
"quick check" will just include whatever flavour you have that month.

Anyone who has a memory attack would be able to identify where it could
best be used. So berferd might poke about for a while, but it wouldn't
take long for her to see where she was, and to reach for her Xen
toolbox.