On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 22:23:08 +0100, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
<marma...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:

> > Thanks, executing qubes-monitor-layout-notify works as a workaround
> > - it is much cleaner solution than hack with switching displays off
> > and on :)
>
> Actually this tool is called automatically when monitor layout is
> changed (see watch-screen-layout-changes process). The problem is a
> race condition - it is called before new configuration is actually
> applied, so it sends the old configuration again... I haven't found
> yet any way to receive notification _after_ new configuration is
> applied. Any idea?

Monitoring relevant X Window events with xev in dom0:

$ xev -root -event randr -event structure

and changing display settings, shows that after increasing resolution
XRROutputChangeNotifyEvent is not sent (only RRScreenChangeNotify,
XRRCrtcChangeNotifyEvent and ConfigureNotify), at least on my machine
(R3.2, Intel gfx and Xfce).

Watch-screen-layout-changes monitors only OutputChange events, and
that's why it doesn't detect change and doesn't execute
qubes-monitor-layout-notify.

I think it would be better to monitor RRScreenChangeNotify event, as it
is always sent after changing display settings and it's supported in any
randr version (no need to use ConfigureNotify).

I have prepared a fix and a pull request.

--
yaqu