The last time I tried to install Qubes onto this machine was almost two years
ago.  I had a lot of trouble with the install.  The final result was that the
system ran fine, but the HVM and IOMMU were giving me trouble.  Rather than
troubleshoot it, I got distracted by other shiny things.

I decided to haul the machine out of the closet and give it another go.  It
occurred to me that I should probably update the BIOS on the computer first.
It might improve the compatibility.  It turns out that the machine has BIOS rev
A03.  Dell's last release is A15!

I installed the latest BIOS.  The end result is that a lot more is functional
now.  For anybody having trouble installing to a machine that (on paper) should
meet the requirements, I recommend that you see if you've got the latest BIOS
installed.  (BTW, apparently the BIOS upgrade installers that run under Windows
are notoriously unreliable.  Many folks claim that they risk bricking the
computer.  You should instead use the DOS installer.  It's a royal pain, but
the safer route.)

So anyway, I did the Qubes install.  After a few hiccups, I got the thing
installed.  It has been running fine for a whole day now, so attached is the
HCL report.