On Sunday, 20 November 2016 14:56:05 UTC+11, Sec Tester  wrote:
> So using the VM manager i created a Win7 HVM (not a HVM template)
>
> I copied over the Win7.iso to a the user directory in dom0
>
> using "qvm-run --pass-io <src-vm> 'cat /path/to/file_in_src_domain' >
> /path/to/file_name_in_dom0"
>

> And ran "qvm-start win7 --cdrom=/home/myusername/Win7.iso"
>
> =============
> First attempt
> =============
> HVM loaded, got to the stage where it starts installing files, and got an
> error reading file or something along those lines.
>
> I assumed the Win7_64bit.iso i downloaded from microsoft got corrupted, so I
> re-downloaded the .iso
>
> ==============
> Second attempt
> ==============
> I deleted the previous Win7 HVM, and created a new one
>
> Copied over the iso and ran command to start HVM again.
>
> Whats happening is Now is the HVM doesnt pass the windows logo stage. it just
> sits there and glows.
>
> I dont think that i should even see the glowing windows logo at this stage of
> the install. I suspect that even tho i deleted & re-created the Win7 HVM, its
> still trying to boot of the failed partial install.
> ===============
> Is there a way to check the old Win7 HVM has been completely deleted?
>
> Could this be another issue?
>
> Cheers
> Is

I have never had a problem installing a Win7 HVM or HVM Template.

When you run it, it should juut continue.
Give the guest 2 threads and AT LEAST 2 GB RAM.

Anything less than that and it MAY have issues.
I have had issues with less than 1024 GB RAM in the past, that is why I
recommend 2 GB, and NOT BALANCED.

I have a Win7Template, and I spawn all my Win7 Guests off that.

If you have trouble installing it from the MS ISO, then I recommend downloading
from elsewhere.

http://getintopc.com/page/1/?s=Windows+7

This is the site I got an ISO from when I needed one for a specific version of
Win7.

The ISOs boots fine and works and I've been using it for years.

Just be sure to get one that is not an AIO or something that is modified like
that. Get one that is purely x86_64 and one version.