On Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 8:25:25 PM UTC-5, tfor...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 11:05:52 AM UTC-5, kent.f...@gmail.com
> wrote:
> > On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 2:29:21 PM UTC-7, Dave C wrote:

> > > Thanks!
> > >

> > > I'm happy to contribute a little something back.
> > >

> > > See below for a little comment.

> > > I wonder how pvgrub2 usage would work here.
> > >
> > > After completing steps to enable it[1], just `sudo yum install
> > >
> > > broadcom-wl akmod-wl` should be enough. At least in theory...
> > >

> > > [1] https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/managing-vm-kernel/#tocAnchor-1-3
> > >

> > > This sounds like a more future-proof approach.  No risk of future kernel
> > > upgrades breaking the net vm.  Will explore this as time permits.
> > >
> > > BTW, I think `sudo yum install broadcom-wl akmod-wl` did not work as
> > > intended in Fedora 23 - nothing to do with Qubes.  While the command had
> > > no errors, it doesn't seem to produce the wl module.  Running `sudo
> > > modprobe wl` afterwards fails.  Regardless of how you build the module,
> > > the pvgrub2 method sounds pretty clean.
> > >
> > > -Dave
> >
> > I can confirm that a variation of Dave Cohen's suggestions will get
> > wireless working on the newest model MacBook Air (MacbookAir7,2).
> >
> > Generally, the steps required are:
> > in dom0:
> > echo 0000:03:00.0 | sudo tee /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/permissive
> >
> > in sys-net:
> > sudo dnf install gcc kernel-devel -y
> >
> > cp -a /lib/modules /rw/modules
> > mount --bind /rw/modules /lib/modules
> > systemctl restart systemd-udevd
> >
> > mkdir hybrid_wl_f23
> > cd hybrid_wl_f23
> > FILE='hybrid-v35_64-nodebug-pcoem-6_30_223_271.tar.gz'
> > wget http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/$FILE
> > tar zxvf $FILE
> > make clean && make
> > sudo make install
> >
> > sudo depmod -a
> > sudo rmmod b43 ssb bcma
> > /etc/modprobe.d/wl.conf
> > modprobe wl
> >
> > I'm still working on getting the changes to survive reboot with rc.local /
> > qubes-pre-netvm.service / modules-load / modprobe
>
> Let me know if you get it working, how did you manage to install the devel
> kernel without internet?

I got it working more or less perfectly (except for one weird and unobtrusive
key mapping). Like Dave mentioned, you need an ethernet dongle for internet
access: I can confirm that apple's thunderbolt to ethernet dongle is
autodetected and works just fine. In fact, it looks like Dave used the same
dongle based on the ID of his other PCI passthrough.