At the moment, I have the 2 guests under the guest set up so that when I have
the answer to the NIC issue, I can then perform the dom0 update and install the
3 pieces of software I need to then be able to install the software I want to
install under it.

But this whole thing is very annoying.

Mareck, is it a similar issue to the previous reset issue that happened last
time when I was trying to access PCI device in dom0 (real) ?

I think it's similar, and I'll find that command and try it again for assigning
the device and post back here on the forum with the result.