On 11/30/2016 08:09 AM, Swâmi Petaramesh wrote:
Hello,

I use Qubes 3.2 (recent, default installation) with anti-evil-maid on HP
ProBook 6470b.

Anti-evil-maid is installed to HD /boot per instructions, TPM is
protected by a password, and I use a "secret" image instead of text.

So far everything seemed to work.

However this morning I had a Xen upgrade in dom0, and, as documented, I
was expecting it to break my AEM secret image display at next reboot.

So after upgrading Xen in dom0 I rebooted the system and... nothing
special hapenned. AEM displayed my "secret" image as usual, without any
unusual behaviour or warning whatsoever.

So I wonder : Is AEM actually working on my system ?

Apparently not.

I made the same experience in the past and couldn't identify the root cause neither (I tested most of the stuff mentioned before).

My old thread:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?_escaped_fragment_=topic/qubes-users/xNIiSyJQD0E#!topic/qubes-users/xNIiSyJQD0E
https://sourceforge.net/p/trousers/mailman/message/34257631/

I'm also not sure about whether or not to trust the Chinese no-name manufacturer... Maybe the TPM just reports everything as valid? At least sounds like a simple implementation that doesn't get noticed 99% of the time.

But if you find anything I'd be interested.

In total I'd though say that physical security is a _much better_ counter-measure than TPM usage for AEM scenarios (as long as you're using Qubes and not some monolithic OS). So what about a locked case for your laptop, maybe even with some noisy alarm if not opened correctly? ;-)
Or just always carry it with you...
Also helps against hardware attacks. Okay they can still knock you out, but if it has gone that far, you'll have some different problems anyway.