On 12/01/2016 11:52 PM, mojosam wrote:
I have a 110 GB SSD.  If I look at the settings for any of my AppVMs, it says that the
"Private storage max. size" is 2048 MB (which is the default).  It also says that
"System storage max size" is 10240 MB.

Is 10240 MB the maximum size that an AppVM is allowed to get, or is that the
size of the drive it's living on?  If it's the latter, I'm concerned about why
that's one tenth the size of my drive.

What I want to do is create a few more AppVMs, but I'm worried about running
out of space on my drive.

Each appVM's storage lives in a separate disk image file that is "sparse". That means it grows or shrinks depending on how much data you have added or deleted. But it can only grow as far as the "Private storage max" that you set.

You could set a bunch of appVMs to each have a Private max size that is larger than your hard drive (or, combined, their Private max could be larger than your hard drive) and they will work fine unless/until you add too much data to them. That setting is so you can expand appVM storage to sizes that will reasonably hold your data, and you can keep expanding the max as needed.

The "System storage max" refers to the VM's system root image (where the guest OS lives), not your hard disk. It means that particular template (or standalone) OS can't grow beyond that size. You probably won't need to adjust this setting. For VMs that use a template, the actual system size is the 'Size' you see listed for the template in Qubes Manager.

To get an idea of the free space available to Qubes, you can enter 'df -m' in a dom0 command prompt to see the value in megabytes. Or in the GUI (KDE), you can right-click on the taskbar or desktop to add a Widget that displays overall disk space.

Chris