Hi,

I have looked at similar audio issue posts and whilst some are similar none
seem to provide any answers to my problem.

I have an appvm based on a Fedora-23 template, I also have other appvms e.g.
the "personal" and "untrusted" vms based off the same template.

The "personal" vm I can boot and play audio without issues, the "development"
vm will not play any audio at all this appears to be a pulseaudio issue (this
hasn't always been the case it was working fine about a week ago and I cannot
think of what changed).

When I check the pulseaudio daemon on "development" after boot it isn't
running, if I start it manually (pulseaudio --start) I see a "Dummy Output"
device in the sound settings (previously nothing would have been there) but
still no audio  will play.

The fact that audio doesn't work after restarting pulseaudio isn't really a
surprise because even on vm with working audio ("personal") if I run
"pulseaudio -k" followed by "pulseaudio --start" I find that I have lost audio
there as well. Following the restart of pulseaudo the output device is always
displayed as "Dummy Output" whereas when it is working it is displayed as
"Qubes VCHAN Sink".

If I move the "development" private storage to one of the working Fedora-23
appvms e.g. I overwrite the private.img of "personal" with the "development"
private.img audio stops working there as well (I tried clearing down the
.config/pulse directory under the users home but it didn't help, I'm not sure
what other user state there could be).

When the audio isn't working I cannot attach audio devices to the vm in qubes
manager which is the easiest way to spot the problem has occurred.

It's not the first time I've had this issue but it has always gone away in the
past, this time however it seems more persistent. All appvm settings are the
same e.g. devices etc.

Can anyone provide any more suggestions, particullarly perhaps how the "Qubes
VCHAN Sink" is provided? or maybe I am kicking pulseaudio incorrectly and there
is a better way etc?

Obviosuly I could migrate my private storage away from the vm in question and
trash it but I'm hoping something can be learnt from this problem.

Thanks for any help.

Jon