On Sun, Sep 04, 2016 at 06:35:42PM +1200, Robert Fisk wrote:
> On 09/01/2016 06:55 PM, johnyju...@sigaint.org wrote:
> > I was thinking earlier that some form of a "USB Firewall" hardware
> > device might be cool to create; one that goes into each USB port in
> > between each device and the PC, and only passes a specific device,
> > or only a HID device (and doesn't permit a drive to add another HID
> > identity).  Yet another side project for winter. :)  There may be
> > existing products.
>

> Ahem. Allow me to introduce you to a project I have been working on
> for a while now:
>
> https://github.com/robertfisk/usg/wiki
> https://github.com/robertfisk/USG/wiki/FAQ
>
> The USG (which is Good, not Bad) is a hardware firewall for your USB
> ports. It connects between your computer and your untrusted USB
> device, isolating the badness with two dedicated processors.
>
> Features:
>  - Isolates low-level USB exploits by using a simple internal protocol
> with minimal attack surface
>
>  - No hub support blocks 'hidden' malicious devices
>
>  - Prevents devices changing their enumerated class after connection,
> stopping malicious class changes.
>

> Device support: mass storage (flash drives), keyboards, mice.
>
> Project status: You can build your own USG v0.9 hardware out of
> development boards if you are handy with a soldering iron. End user
> hardware is approaching production-ready status, samples will be
> available in the coming months.
>
> Feedback / pull requests / sales leads are welcome!

This project have great potential! The USB proxy hardware can be used
for somehow more secure USB keyboard usage on Qubes OS, when only a
single USB controller is available.
Take a look at this idea[1]:

    Have a piece of hardware plugged between USB keyboard and PC (based on
    https://github.com/robertfisk/USG?), to encrypt and integrity-protect
    the events. And then decrypt them in dom0 and check integrity
    protection, and only then pass them down to input devices stack. This
    should at least partially guard against malicious USB VM. It still will
    be able to perform timing based attacks to guess what you're typing -
    not sure how accurate such attacks are currently. Such device could
    introduce artificial delay (like - inject queued events every 50ms) to
    at least partially mitigate such attacks.

What do you think about it? I think the hardware you've designed is
perfect for this!

[1]
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2507#issuecomment-265894809

- --